Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What cultural heritage do you have?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Gavi
Nidan
Nidan

Male
Age : 36 Registration date : 2008-06-20 Number of posts : 30 Location : Philippines

What cultural heritage do you have? Vide
PostSubject: What cultural heritage do you have?   What cultural heritage do you have? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 9:27 pm

Philippines are known to be a conglomerate of different traditions. That being sad, what do you consider to be your main cultural "base"? Also, which cultures are you interested in the most?
Back to top Go down
Athalia
Insecurity Kills
Insecurity Kills
Athalia

Female
Age : 31 Registration date : 2008-03-24 Number of posts : 526 Location : Somewhere over the Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: What cultural heritage do you have?   What cultural heritage do you have? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 8:37 pm

I may consider Hispanic Culture as my main cultural base. talk about three centuries of colonization... Anyways, cultures which I am interested in are mostly Asians', particularly the Japanese's. Animes have shown me a lot, and thus making me fall for their culture. XD
Back to top Go down
http://www.yashif.deviantart.com
Gavi
Nidan
Nidan

Male
Age : 36 Registration date : 2008-06-20 Number of posts : 30 Location : Philippines

PostSubject: Re: What cultural heritage do you have?   What cultural heritage do you have? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 8:41 pm

It's very interesting, most Filipinos I talked to don't have a specified cultural base, they usually just say they are Asians or that they are multicultural, and some respond aggresively at any suggestions that they have Polynesian heritage.

As for my feelings for Japanese culture, I have been interested for a while, though I also learned to be careful and critical. For example, I distinguish traditional culture from popular culture(in my family we often discuss about these matters) and I always try to notice some interesting elements in Japanese manga/anime/games as well as apparent mistakes and cliches.
Back to top Go down
Athalia
Insecurity Kills
Insecurity Kills
Athalia

Female
Age : 31 Registration date : 2008-03-24 Number of posts : 526 Location : Somewhere over the Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: What cultural heritage do you have?   What cultural heritage do you have? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 8:45 pm

Maybe they are confused on which cultural base they have...

How do you differentiate Japanese Traditional Culture from their Popular Culture?
Back to top Go down
Gavi
Nidan
Nidan

Male

PostSubject: Re: What cultural heritage do you have?   What cultural heritage do you have? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 8:52 pm

It is very easy to do. Popular culture(pop-culture) is a product of modern society, and it includes various social phenomena(or "memes") that spread worldwide. It may be a special dress code, some anime series(like the very popular Haruhi and Lucky Star series) and behaviour. Traditional culture, in the case of Japan, includes ZEN philosophy, developed tea ceremony, social order or traditional warfare(samurai, traditional fortifications, blacksmithing).
Back to top Go down
Athalia
Insecurity Kills
Insecurity Kills
Athalia

Female

PostSubject: Re: What cultural heritage do you have?   What cultural heritage do you have? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 9:03 pm

Oh well. We have the same definition of their Popular and Traditional Culture... :D

Regarding their Pop Culture, it is in my opinion, a very democratic way of expressing themselves. I like how they dress, and they walk on streets with those stylish clothes without getting negative reactions from other people. *This is one thing you cannot do freely in the Philippines.* As for their Traditional Culture, I don't like the idea of Harakiri or Sepukku.. even though it's for a persons honor and dignity. Huh?
Back to top Go down
Gavi
Nidan
Nidan

Male

PostSubject: Re: What cultural heritage do you have?   What cultural heritage do you have? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 9:43 pm

I do agree with your opinion on positive effects of pop-culture, but sometimes I can see something disturbing - when people, in desperate attempt to be original, dress in outrageus manner - and they don't stay true to themselves, they want to appear "cool". We call such people "plastic".
Back to top Go down
Athalia
Insecurity Kills
Insecurity Kills
Athalia

Female

PostSubject: Re: What cultural heritage do you have?   What cultural heritage do you have? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 9:52 pm

We also call such people "plastic", in other words stereotype. Deshou? I think there is an appropriate type of dress for everyone. And the outfit of a person will kind of look outrageous depending on how he or she carries it. What cultural heritage do you have? 200433
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What cultural heritage do you have?   What cultural heritage do you have? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What cultural heritage do you have?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Members Lounge :: General Chat -